Troop to Downsize by Year's End

Published: Wednesday, 07/25/2007 12:00 am EDT

Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor has hinted that Canadian troops might scale back operations in southern Afghanistan by year's end. Speaking with CTV, Mr. O'Connor said after the six-month rotation of the Royal 22nd Regiment, "we'll have about 3,000 Afghan army operating within the Kandahar province." In a related announcement, Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay told CanWest News last week DFAIT is expanding diplomatic efforts in Kabul and Kandahar.

If you are already a subscriber

Subscribe to Embassy

Subscribe to the print and electronic editions and get instant access to Embassy online.


Quick purchase

Purchase this week's edition of Embassy in electronic format (PDF) for $4.00


Sign up for a free trial

For access to the website.



This Week's Issue
policy briefings